Blackboard Learn Personal Notification Options
Over the last several years, we have gone through several updates with Blackboard Learn. Along with numerous new features and services offered in our learning management system have been the redesign of functions we may be already accustomed to. For this reason, we in the eLearning Department will be providing our students and faculty information of both introduction and reintroduction of key learning tools and services within used within Blackboard.
To begin, we will be looking at how each Blackboard user can and control what notifications and updates they receive. The short video below explains how notifications let you know when important events happen in your courses.
Each Blackboard user has complete control to manage the notification settings for all courses. From the menu next to your name in the page header, select Settings and then select Edit Notifications Settings.
Your institution controls if these options are available. If your institution has defined notification settings, those settings are used instead of your personal settings.
- Edit General Settings: Select your email format-individual messages for each notification or daily digest-and the reminder schedule for due dates.
- Bulk Edit Notification Settings: Change the notification settings for all of your courses at once. You can select which notifications you want to receive and the delivery method.
- Edit Individual Course Settings: Change the notification settings for a single course.
- Edit Individual Organization Settings: Change the notification settings for a single organization.
With the general settings, you can choose if you want to receive notifications by email and if you want due date reminders.
- From the menu next to your name in the page header, select Settings and then select Edit Notifications Settings.
- On the Edit Notification Settings page, select Edit General Settings.
- On the General Settings page, you can choose to receive an email for each notification or a daily digest email that compiles all of the notifications for that day.
- Individual Messages: Emails are sent for each notification. Note that the number of unread discussion messages, blog posts, and journal entries are always sent as daily digest emails.
- Daily Email Digest: All notifications are collected and sent once per day at a time set by your institution.
- Select Yes to set due date reminders for notifications and choose the number of days before the due date you want to be notified. This email reminder is sent as a digest email or as individual emails, based on the option you select.
- Select Submit.
You can choose the types of notifications you receive and how they’re delivered to you.
- From the menu next to your name in the page header, select Settings and then select Edit Notification Settings.
- On the Edit Notification Settings page, select the link for Courses I am taking or Courses I am teaching in the Bulk Edit Notification Settings section to change notification settings for all courses at once.Or, you can make selections for individual courses. Select a course name in the Edit Individual Course Settings section. The Current Notification Settings page appears and provides the same options.
- On the Change Settings page, check that your Notification Destinations are correct. If not, change them in your Personal Information.
- In the Settings section, choose how your notifications are delivered. Select the check box at the top of a column to receive all of your chosen notifications the same way. Clear the box for any notification that you don’t want to receive.
- Dashboard: By default, all notification types appear in My Blackboard’s Updates and Posts pages and in course home pages. They also appear in the Notifications Dashboard if your institution has access to the community engagement features.
- Mobile: This column appears if your institution has enabled Blackboard Mobile Learn. Choose which push notifications you want to appear on your mobile device. Push notifications appear on your device’s screen even if you don’t open the Blackboard Mobile Learn app. The notifications you can receive include:
- Announcement Available
- Content Item Available
- Course or Organization Available
- Item Graded
- Test Available
- Test Due
- Test Overdue
- Select Submit.
Email, mobile, SMS, and text-to-voice notifications are turned off by default. If you don’t see a column for a notification method, that option isn’t available at Wallace State Community College.
You need to select Daily Email Digest in your general notification settings to select email notifications for these items:
- Number of unread discussion messages
- Number of unread blog posts
- Number of unread journal entries