With Blackboard’s April Release 2014 come new features plus numerous improvements and functionality for both students and instructors. This update will be available to students and faculty in the Summer Term 2014 at Wallace State Community College. Listed below are overviews of each new feature.
You may also check out BlackboardTV, the Blackboard YouTube channel, to view dozens of Blackboard Learn video tutorials. This includes a featured playlist of Quick Hit videos, created just for educators.
||To Learn More
|Assessments: Significant Figures
||In calculated formula questions, instructors can select the number of decimals or significant figures for the correct answers generated by the system.
||Calculated Formula Questions
|Financial Aid Reporting
||Generate reports of student academic contribution within a single or multiple courses in Blackboard Learn 9.1.
|Grading: Anonymous Grading
||Instructors can hide student names from submitted assignments for anonymous grading.
|Grading: Delegated Grading
||Instructors can delegate grading to specific users.
||SafeAssign is integrated into regular Learn assignments.
||Use SafeAssign in AssignmentsBest Practice: Plagiarism
|SafeAssign Originality Report Changes
||The SafeAssign originality report has been changed in the following ways:
- The report has been updated with a new look and feel. The report now displays multiple attachments.
- The email option has been removed. While viewing the report, you can “print to pdf” either natively or using a plug-in based on the operating system and browser combination that you are using to create an accessible PDF. Then, you can share the PDF in multiple ways, including secure email.
- Each source now has a color unique to the source. Text matching the source is highlighted in the unique source color. There are a maximum of 30 different colors. This matches the maximum of 30 different sources.
- By default, all citation source highlighting is on. Instructors can click Show/Hide All Highlighting to turn source highlighting off and on for all sources at once.
- The report layout has been improved for narrow screens. The report information and citations now appear at the top of the submission when instructors reduce the width of the viewing area.
- Instructors click Select Sources and Resubmit to determine which sources they want to include in the next report. By default, all sources are included. Instructors can clear the check box for each source to exclude from the results. This behavior is the reverse of previous releases.
- The page instructors are redirected to after resubmitting a paper has been updated to be more in line with the styling of the new report.
- During the redesign of the SafeAssign originality report, it became clear that the mixed script count was potentially showing misleading and confusing information. The mixed script count identifies the potential of multiple scripts used in an assignment to hide acts of plagiarism. It was discovered that the count was based on the number of words or sentences in the text and was only triggered by Cyrillic. The count should be based on all of the ways multiple scripts can be used to avoid plagiarism detection. Also, the areas where each script was used were not identified in the document and had to be manually located. For these reasons, while the originality report continues to alert you to any use of mixed-script characters within individual words anywhere in a submission, the word count will not be available until it can be accurate for all script combinations and all instances can be highlighted in the report.
|SafeAssign Originality Reports
||Instructors can view their course exactly as a student does by using a student account the system generates for them.
Also coming May 28, 2014…
||To Learn More
||Profiles will be integrated with MyEdu to deliver an Enhanced Cloud Profile. The Enhanced Cloud Profile provides users with their first professional profile. The added features help them demonstrate skills and competencies they have developed through their educational journey in a visual and uniquely compelling way. If you do not see this update, your institution has not turned it on.